Corrib House can clearly be seen on the 1826 map of Galway City, it is a Georgian style house built in the early 1800′s. Corrib House was connected to schools funded by Erasmus Smith, Mr. Henry Hodgson and Mr. Thomas Killen. Rumored to have been a haunt of James Joyce and other notable characters of the era, this majestic house is steeped in history.
In 1926 Mr Charles Alexander Cooke , a local solicitor, his wife Sarah Anne Cooke nee Barnett with their eight children moved into Corrib House.
Initially they rented the house from Annie Lally, then in 1926 they bought the house.
When the Cooke family moved into Corrib House the only heat source was the open fires, later a range was installed in the kitchen. The only water source in the house was a lone standing tap in the corner of the kitchen.
It is clear from records that Corrib House had been in the hands of the Cooke family for over eighty years.
Corrib House was sold by the Cooke family in 2010 and the present owners took upon the challenging task of restoring the house to it’s former glory. In October 2011 the doors were first opened to Corrib House and Tearooms and Guesthouse.